Being back to work reminds me of why I love it here so much. My students and the people I work with are just so sweet and amazing. And I haven't even had my favorite favorite class yet!
I won't get into the awesomeness that was each of my classes this week so far (though my 2ndes did fight over me today), but I will say the best part of it... my older BTS students are back! After a month of them being gone to do their internships and then the two week holiday, I was missing them. Today, I was given a group and told what to do - prepare them for their oral BTS English exam. One of my favorites pulled up a chair right next to me and said that he wanted to learn. Of course his idea of "learning" was to monopolize my time and get me to translate everything he wanted to say into English. But I was able to work with all of those in the group who wanted to work. And I left them with a promise that I would look over whatever they did at home and correct their vocabulary (which is *so* hard because I don't even know the words in English when it comes to machinery) and grammar.
Dinner tonight was hilarious, and there wasn't even a moment of silence. The moment surveillant Sn. saw us, he was chatting with us about the holiday. Then, C. arrived. He did the bise with us, and we formulated a plan to give him his keychain the moment he sat down in order to avoid another face "violation". We did just that (and gave one to Sn. as well). And it seemed to work until C. who was seated right next to me leaned right over and did the bise. Luckily, I had the foresight to not be munching on anything. He proceeded to get up and do the same to Natasha. As predicted, he was so excited. Also as predicted, Sn. was awkwardly sweet and surprised and thanked us with the exact words I said he would use. There was a moment where he looked at us awkwardly, trying to decide if he should also get up to do the bise with us again like C., but ultimately, he decided just to thank us verbally again.
We talked all about our holidays and what we did in Madrid and Venice (shopping, food, annoying football fans, etc.). I asked C. what he did which led to him telling us that he saw Twilight which of course, we then went on and on about. He also said that he thought about seeing LOL, and we said that we had seen it a few weeks ago. Sn. said that he could never see a film like LOL. I just made a comment that we love films for "les ados" (teens) and that Chauny's cinema doesn't actually offer a huge choice. He seemed to understand that.
But we were able to share our geekiness with C. Once Sn. left, we chatted about Twilight some more. He missed some of the action scene (it's a bad idea to drink coffee before the film), and I admitted that we had seen it twice. He wouldn't let that fact go. I told him it was because we were in Paris on a Sunday night with nothing else to do. Which was true. He told us that the next time, we should just check out a little theater and see a play. He then told us about a play he had seen one time. It has a wildly inappropriate English title which I won't write here, because I don't know who's reading. At first, we thought he messed up the title (you know... maybe he didn't know how to pronounce the word correctly), but nope. After he said it again with a mischievous smile, we knew he did not. We just googled the play, and let me just say that I have no idea why he disclosed this information to us. Crazy C. We love him.
Goal in the next few weeks: Getting pictures of all the people I love at the school.
Ahh... dinners at the cantine. How I will miss you.
Tomorrow, I'm skipping my morning class (where I do nothing anyway), and we are having a pancake brunch over Kylie's. She leaves in less than two weeks now! Crazy!
Also, I taught Claude the phrase "I'll facebook you". He was the one that said us anglophones will make a verb out of anything, so I was like "I googled this, I'll wikipedia it, I'll facebook you, etc." Who needs all this "J'ai fait de la recherche sur Google" etc.? Not us English speakers.
No comments:
Post a Comment