Thursday, March 12, 2009

l'annee prochaine

I have been pretty silent on my plans for next year. Partly because I had no idea what they would be, and partly because I didn't want to jinx the one possibility that I had. I've only told a few select people about the whole thing. Well, after receiving an email today, I no longer have to keep quiet. I will be doing a Masters in French at Middlebury College. The one year program will put me in Vermont for six weeks this summer, and then I will spend the entire academic year in... PARIS!! So yes, I will be on this side of the ocean again next year. I am beyond excited!

So yes, another year in France. Only change will be that after that year is over, I will have a Masters degree.

Even before the email, I was having a great day. I took a group of my PL1 students (first time I've been completely alone with a small group of this class). The hour went by surprisingly fast even though I had nothing prepared. Though they did ask me some wildly inappropriate questions which I blatantly refused to answer. Ahh... 20 year old guys. Claude told the students when I took them what to start working on with me for the BTS exam they would have with me and him next April (as in April '10). Umm... okay?? Well, this teacher also told me this afternoon that he was off to buy some peacocks (don't ask), so whatever.

I was supposed to take a group of my PL2 students (which I came prepared for with a big huge dictionary so I can look up technical words), but after only six showed up, we decided to do a tour of the ateliers. Fun! I love seeing and learning about the machines. Of course, the tour was in French. Claude took notes, and it will be my job to translate it into English and then present it to the students and they'll have to know it for their exam this April. There were talks of a recording... first it was just a voice recording, but it soon changed to a video. Hopefully, it's just forgotten entirely. Claude also has some books on plastic production in English that I can borrow if I ever want something to do in the evening. Oh yeah, big fun! But I might consider it just so I can be more of a help to my students.

My only afternoon class was canceled, because they're in Paris. Of course, I didn't know this until I showed up for the class. Claude said it was a shame that he hadn't thought about the trip sooner, because I could have gone on it. He's going to tell the office to invite me along should any other class go to Paris before I leave.

Well, that is it for now. I seem to be updating a lot lately. Don't I? Anyway, I'm just really excited at the moment!!! Eeee!!! Can't wait to tell people at the school!

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on your lengthened stay in the land of cheese! Middlebury has a great language school, I'm sure it'll be a great program!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! A year in Paris is always something to be super excited about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news! Congrats! So it's just to study the French language, or do you have a larger scale plan in mind...?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! I'm still beyond excited about this!

    Soleil, I'm just not ready to stop studying the language. And then I just fell in love with this program, and it is one of the top Master programs. They have different tracks so I can do a general track or choose to focus more on culture, literature, or teaching. Their graduates go on to teach, enter top PhD programs, or find jobs in the private or public sector. So lots of options for me... I really want to work in an international setting, and having the backup of fluency in another language (and the proof of it) is a definite plus.

    ReplyDelete