I feel like this blog has gotten away from the funny little anecdotes that has made my life here amusing, so I bring you this.
There's a certain Lily Allen song that is popular here in France. Okay, so several of her songs are popular, but there is one in particular that is on the radio all the time that you would never hear on the radio in an Anglophone country. Well, at least without it being in some severely edited form. The song in question is called (with a lovely little * to avoid real vulgarity) "F*ck You", and the entire chorus is pretty much a string of that.
The first time C. hung out with us, I pulled the song up on D.'s Deezer account since I figured they'd know it and like it. They did. And C. blurts out "Like you! J'adore cette chanson!" I must have had an interesting look on my face, because he was like "C'est pas ca?" (It's not that?) Definitely not.
When I went to St. Quentin for the film with C. and his friend, the song came on while we were at a cafe. His friend says that the song must be very inappropriate in English. C. and I sort of looked at each other and laughed. We then shared his little mistake, and I translated the difference between what the songs says and what C. thought it had said. Huge difference.
This weekend, while C., D., and I were in my room, I put the song on and said "Hey, C.! C'est pour toi" (This is for you). He recognized the song immediately and at the chorus, he sang at the top of his lungs "Like you! Like you very very much!" and continued to replace every "f*ck" with "like". I couldn't stop laughing. D. just looked at us like we were insane, because he, like most of the French (especially the youth), knows very well what Lily Allen is actually saying. He was like "Elle dit "f*ck" pas "like!". But it's a huge joke now between C. and I.
I will never be able to listen to the song now without thinking of C. and singing along "like you, like you very very much". And as I love Lily Allen, this will be happening a lot.
Today is the repas de Noel (Christmas meal), so no classes between 12pm-2pm today! And on my longest day! Nice! Gotta love France!
I totally thought that's what she was saying the first time I heard it, because I figured there was no way they would play that on the radio! Do you know if it's out in the states? They would have to cut out so much, lol.
ReplyDeleteHmm... I don't know if it's out in the States. Lily Allen isn't very popular there. But I did find an edited version on Spotify where they insert a bizarre noise, so I'm assuming it was released in the UK.
ReplyDelete