Wednesday, December 9, 2009

making new friends and older friends becoming better ones

Monday, we made a new friend at La Rotonde, R. He asked us what language we were speaking (his guess was German) and said that he had seen us there several times but wasn't sure if he should speak to us or not. We have since seen him everyday since then. Won't be seeing him until at least next week though now, because he's on call this weekend at the hospital. He's training to be a doctor. Nice. He's not from here, so he doesn't know too many people. Now, he has us.

We also had a nice surprise at dinner that night, because C. was replacing one of the surveillants. I definitely never mind eating with him. Once Sn. left, I asked C. about the trip he was planning for the students to St. Quentin. He wasn't sure if it was going to happen or not, but he said I could come if I wanted. In any case, if it wasn't going to happen, I could just come hang out with him there. I acted all hurt that Roxy was leaving me, and he got all offended for me. LOL. It's all in good fun though.

Tuesday, I had my full tiring day of classes. I elected not to go to the class with the TGE so I could have more than 20 minutes for lunch. I was debating at first, but then I started talking to C. (the St. Q trip is happening! Yay! Can't wait!), and that made up my mind for me. Three of my many hours were spent translating articles with the BTS. No wonder my brain was fried. By the time we met up with R. at the cafe, I was definitely a little loopy. My friend M. was also there, and R. remarked that he kept watching me. Yeah, because he was probably wondering who this guy was and if he was one of the random creeps who bother us. M. watches out for me.

We ate dinner with A. and three "students"(???) who randomly showed up a few weeks ago. I love A. He has this childlike quality to him that just makes you want to hug him. Well, he is technically younger than my brother, but it's not the same thing. A. is very responsible and you wouldn't think he is as young as he is, but some of his habits are so much like a child, and then when he grins, it just reminds you of a little kid.

Later, Roxy and I watched Inglourious Basterds. Very good film. Violent, but good. I adored Melanie Laurent in the film.

Today, after demonstrating the hokey-pokey (I have no shame apparently) to Claude and some students and then lunch with S. and Francois, Roxy and I headed to St. Quentin. We went in some shops and browsed the Christmas market in the rain. Can always count on Picardie for that one!

We met up with Kasia and a random American and went into the makeshift Christmas tavern for some mulled wine. I was hanging up my phone with another assistant (who soon joined us) when I looked up and who should I see standing at the foot of our table? C.! He was like "Oh my god!" (I love when he throws out random English things! It's too funny!). He was there seeing what the prices were so he can plan for next week's trip. We could only chat briefly, because he had a million and one errands to run. He makes me smile.

While we were waiting at the train station, he came in, gave us a goofy smile and went to buy his tickets. He made faces at us through the window. We couldn't help but laugh. We ended up going out onto the platform before him, because he was still at the counter. When he came out, he started searching for us, looking in the exact opposite direction than us. But he finally saw us. We took the train together, and I asked him if he wanted to spend another evening with us. He definitely wants to. It's probably going to have to be in January, but he's going to try for this Friday. He has two meetings after work then, so it's going to depend on how long that takes and how he's feeling afterwards, but we'll see. He also happily announced to the others at dinner that I was going on the trip next week.

And then of course, back in Chauny, Roxy and I had a drink at La Rotonde, and R. soon joined us.

Two more days until the weekend. Then, only one more week until the holidays. Wow. Time is sure flying by. It makes me sad that it took me so long to make good friends here. I mean, I've always had the other assistants. And M. has been awesome for a very longtime, but most of the others (with the exception of Sophie and T.) were just more or less acquaintances (some better than others). C., on the other hand, is quite possibly my favorite person. It's very difficult to stay in a bad mood when he's around. I'm so glad that he's no longer just a coworker. I feel like I can tell him everything and anything which I pretty much do.

No comments:

Post a Comment