Wednesday, April 7, 2010

hopefully i'm doing a better job with my students...

Yes, another post today.

I was chatting online with C. just now when I realized that we are now April 8 (oh man, how French does that sound? Can't for the life of me think of how to say it correctly in English at the moment ). Recalling our birthday discussion a few months ago, I asked him if today was in fact his birthday. When he replied in the affirmative, I wished him (in English) "Happy birthday!!!". He replied with "THINKSSSSSS!".

Now, I have no problem with the extra S's to stress the word, but you know, it's the wrong word! We've had this discussion before. He kept typing "thinks" to me, and I finally realized he was trying to say "thanks", so I corrected him. When he says it out loud, while heavily accented, I know it's "Thanks". However, since it's still mispronounced, and when trying to spell how it sounds according to French sounds, that's where the misspelling comes from.

I give C. English "lessons" just as he gives me French "lessons", but apparently, I have been unsuccessful. The only thing that has really stuck is "Oh my god!", and that's because I admitted that it's one of my favorite phrases to use. And "kiss". He got that one on his own. A. knows that one too. Though when I showed him Hershey Kisses, he asked what the word "Kisses" meant."

Let's just hope my students have fared better...

No comments:

Post a Comment