I leave in less than a week, so I am working on getting everything together. I think everything major is now done (except for packing...). I've photocopied every important document, bought some Euros (a very small amount of them), bought travel insurance, and called my bank/credit card companies (which turned out to be hell).
I'm expecting horrible customer service in France, but not in my own country. I call my bank, and the woman is nothing but helpful. She quickly adds a note to my account stating that I will indefinitely be living in France and traveling around Europe and Africa (better safe to add that in). Next up, Capital One. Last year, it took me forever to navigate through their menus and talk to a real person, but this year, they added an option for travel, so I thought this would be easy. Nope. I could barely understand the woman (she also talked very quietly). She then demanded that I give her my contact number in France, which I obviously don't have yet. She was going to make me call them back from France, so finally, I found a photocopy of my arrêté and gave her my school's number. Next, I had to tell her exactly what countries I'd be visiting. I don't know that yet, so finally I gave up and told her just France and to forget everything else. She also needed an exact return date which I can understand that one. Last year, I just needed to give them dates and continents. That's it. I get the safety precautions, but seriously... it's frustrating especially after the helpful call with National City. Good thing I'm only using my Capitol One card in emergencies. Yeah, I bet I'll try to use it, and it won't work. Okay... sorry for that tangent.
I emailed my contact person the other day, but he (or is it she?) has yet to reply. Way to make me nervous! I kind of need my questions answered. That would make me feel a lot better.
I've also decided with some nudging to try to write at least a small section in French in each of my posts in order to further along my French skills. It won't be a translation of the English, but I also won't write anything new so the non French speakers don't miss anything.
Donc... je pars pour la France dans moins d'une semaine. C'est la folie! Il semble que je vienne de recevoir mon arrêté! Je dois encore faire mes valise - je suis procrastinateuse et un peu parreseuse. Mais bon, j'ai mon liste, c'est important que je sais ce que je dois faire. J'attends une réponse de mon contact à Chauny. J'suis impatiente. Je veux savoir si mon logement est disponible pour moi le jour que j'arrive... mais rien. Peut-être demain... Il n'y a rien que je peux faire d'ici.
No comments:
Post a Comment