Friday, October 24, 2008

what are you?

This conversation made my day:

Student (not mine... probably a 3eme aka 9th grade): Good morning! (It's almost 1:30 in the afternoon).
Me: Good morning! (I didn't have the heart to correct him.)
Student: What are you?
Me: ... Quoi?
Student's friend: Ca se dit pas! (That's not said!)
Student: How...? Je sais rien moi. (I don't know)
Me: Tu veux dire quoi? (What do you want to say?)
Student: Ca va?
Me: How are you?
Student: How are you?
Me: I'm good. Thank you. How are you?
Student: [blank stare]
Student's friend: Elle t'a demande la meme question. (She asked you the same question!)
Student: Beh ouais! I am... funny!... Ca veut dire quoi? (What does that mean?)
Me: T'es drole. (You're funny.)
Student: [satisfied nod] Ouais.

I found it quite nice that a student attempted to speak English with me even though he's not even one of mine. Go him for at least making the effort!

Well, tomorrow, I am off to Aix! Yay! Ciao!

1 comment:

  1. I have the opposite problem where even my own students come into class saying "Bonjour" which really bugs me. Is "Hello!" really that hard?? I'd be thrilled with "What are you?" lol. Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete