Friday, September 4, 2009

five things not to say in french

My Middlebury suitemates and I stumbled upon this video one night. It cracked us up. I just remembered it, so I thought I'd share it with you. Even if you don't know French, it's amusing, because she gives English explanations.

Oh! And kind of inappropriate for young ears!

6 comments:

  1. Haha!!
    I like her French accent! She has a funny sense of humor!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so great! I definitely made the mistake with "baiser" in high school and my very proper teacher nearly died of embarrassment trying to explain my error.

    Kate, 2009-10 assistant in Raimbeaucourt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great! Only... I wish she told us how to say those things correctly! I'm still not sure how to say "I'm excited" in a way the French would actually say.
    The best part is "don't do that." :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leesa, I love her accent too!

    Kathleen, I hate saying "baisser", because I'm always afraid it will come out "baiser". It's a big difference!

    Katie, there's no blanket way to say "I'm excited". You have to choose something like "je suis content(e)", "je suis enthousiaste", "je peux pas attendre", "j'ai hate de ...", etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ah ha. I've used "je suis contente," "j'ai hate de," but I think the "je peux pas attendre" is the phrase I've been looking for recently. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm pretty sure I've said "Je les ai pris" millions of times... Oh dear.

    Hi! I'm Kinzie and I'm in Rouen proper this next year. I'm adding you to my blog reader list -- hope that's alright! :)

    ReplyDelete