Tuesday, September 29, 2009

back home in the chauns

Well, I'm back in Chauny. Not much has really changed here. Everything pretty much looks the same, and I see mostly the same people wandering around the town. It almost feels like I never left. Every time I see someone I know, they are surprised and happy to see me. Like, Sn. just lit up when he saw me! It was a complete surprise for him! So let's see, a quick run-down of the past few days.

Thursday, I arrived very early at the airport after a long uncomfortable flight. I had next to no sleep. Claude was late, so I spent a few minutes panicking that I'd have to take the train with all my luggage, but he came! What a relief! Back in Chauny, I went through all the formalities at the school getting my housing back and setting up my room and such. Ran into S. in town, so I got to speak to him. I met up with new assistant Fabienne and her parents for lunch. They were all very nice though she has since disappeared after being disappointed over the housing leaving a very pissed off lycee questioning me. She was planning on staying here starting today so we'll see if she returns. That afternoon, I ran into C. and some of my students. C. was beyond happy. He may have made some weird squeaking noise. The students made fun. At dinner, I gave him his gifts which made him go even more crazy, and he did the bise with me about 6 times in all that night, so the students kept ragging on us.

Friday was a lazy day. Seriously, I napped, spent a few hours at the cafe, and didn't do much else. Speaking of the cafe, the one server and I are apparently on bising terms now. We didn't bise at all last year, but suddenly, this year, his face was in my face. And it wasn't just a welcome back. It's every time now. I also ran into good old M.A. zho invited me to come to the new bar he works at.

Saturday, I took a very long journey into Paris. They were working on the tracks so I had to take a train, a bus, and another train to get there. I met up with three fellow assistants, and we had a lovely day wandering around the city, having a long lunch, and enjoying a Happy Hour at a cafe. They were all very nice (and two of them were my age!). In the evening, I met up with an assistant Roxy from Chauny and helped her get her things to her hotel in Chauny. She's from North Ireland and is very nice.

Sunday, Roxy and I spent a long day wandering numerous times around Chauny and getting a drink at a cafe. There's never much to do on a Sunday in Chauny. We had dinner at Bella Italia where I made amends with R. after our 6 months of mutual ignoring. Don't even know what really happened there. But this is a good thing as I have to walk past that place every time I go into town.

Yesterday, Roxy moved in next door, and we've started the work to get the internet. Should have it in two weeks! Saw Sn. for the first time which was nice. Had lunch with the maintenance guys who were especially chatty. Roxy and I spent a few hours at the cafe, and my good friend M. came, so I was able to catch up with him and his Chauny hating self. Dinner was great with Sn. and goofy Mo. It's so great catching up with all of these people. And my student was beyond thrilled with his peanut butter. After dinner, we met up with Xisela, the Spanish assistant. She's really sweet. We humored M.A. by having a drink at the new bar he works at. Sadly the owner (who I know) wasn't there.

Today, we have plans with Xisela and possibly the German assistant in the afternoon. Shall be fun!

I can't wait to have the internet. Practically every site is now blocked in the lycee. And I miss Facebook! And this took forever to type on the French keyboard!

No comments:

Post a Comment