Friday, October 2, 2009

first week back

There are things that I really do love about being back in Chauny and at my lycee.  I've really missed seeing these familiar faces on a regular basis. 

Take for example, the maintenance guys.  They are two of the sweetest guys you'll ever meet.  Granted, I still have problems understanding everything they say due to their thick Picard accents, but it's a thousand times better than when I first arrived.  Tuesday, I was in a class until 12:30, so I wasn't at lunch at my normal noon time.  I had eaten the last two lunches with these guys, and when I wasn't there Tuesday, they thought I abandoned them!  Don't worry, I have since ate lunch with them.

It's been great catching up with all the surveillants.  I'm up-to-date on their lives since leaving in May.  Yes, I'm just so curious! Plus, everyone was telling Roxy that she had to meet C. - he's "inoubliable" (unforgettable) - so I was hoping the first meeting wouldn't be a disappointment.  Sure enough, we were all hanging out in town when I saw him.  We did the bise, he glanced at my group, and put himself right in the middle of our group like he belonged there and said in English "I'm C." and then did his crazy laugh.

I have since met the other Chauny assistants.  Fabienne is still M.I.A., so Daniel (another American) has since moved in.  Dinner and lunch time is going to be awkward.  Three of us + two surveillants (or two maintenance guys) + only 4 seats per table = recipe for disaster.  Oh well, I am not giving up my mealtime conversations to entertain the foreigners. Staked my claim right away. I pointed out the staff room (where the maintenance guys still refuse to eat) and then took my seat.  They sort of followed me, and I was like "No, you can go there or eat among the students".  I think I pissed them off.  Oh well.  I get along well with these guys, so I'm going to eat with them.  If only I could find younger, unmarried versions of them...

Speaking of new assistants, I was half napping when the primary assistant's contact was knocking at my door with Daniel in tow asking if I could entertain him, because it was her day off.  I don't mind.  I really don't.  I actually like showing the assistants around.  But I still like my personal time.  Also, I met the German assistant Suzie briefly.

Yesterday was the orientation.  I was planning on going but at the last minute, I decided I was far too lazy for that.  LOL. Getting up for a 6:40am train so wasn't going to happen.  And it was a good thing I didn't (and also good I got up at a reasonable hour), because Claude was pounding on my door at 10am like a little kid needing my help with a project.  Moreover, I started the process for my visa validation, and I had perfect timing at the post office.  I ran into J.!!  Haven't seen him in over a year!  Such a nice surprise.  Also, in a random turn of adventures, there is a circus in town this weekend.  I saw a bunch of horses, camels, goats, and a llama(?) outside where it's going to be.  Then, I was having a drink at the cafe, when I looked up and saw a truck with lions driving by! They were huge!  Poor things!

Back to school related things, I got my hands on Claude's schedule ( I get to make my own again), and I must say, I'm not a fan. Lots of clustered hours, early hours, random two hour sessions, etc. Plus the worst, the only two classes I've had before are the PL2 (the old PL1 BTSers), and Carole's old LV2 students (that tiny group of 3 that never showed - though one of the students is gone and someone else is in her place) are the only students I used to have!  The other English teacher, Claire (who I didn't even know spoke English - she must have worked with the Pro students) has all my favorites!  Will have to see if she has any use for me.  I can easily do 12 hours with Claude, but I want my TGM and TS.  I've had those guys since their first year! We've been in this together from the start!  They've been trying to sneak into English with me!  LOL.  Claude had told me he wasn't happy with the classes he had and now I see why.  I knew I'd have new 2ndes (who I've met and they seem nice enough) and a new group of BTS, which I do, but I figured I'd have the others as well.  Argh. This might be a long year.

Also, Claude's wife works at the school now.  It makes things kind of hilarious. Example conversation: "Claude do you have a class?"  "Definitely not." "Are you sure?" "Completely." Awhile later, she looks at his schedule which he is supposed to be copying for me but isn't. "Claude, your class started ten minutes ago."

One of my BTS students complimented my French today!  And then my 2ndes said that since I spoke French so well, they didn't see why they had to speak English with me.  Maybe because it's English class!

Ahh.... back in the Chauns.  Wonder how this year will unfold.

Tomorrow, I'm heading back to Paris to hang out with Anna.  I can't wait!!

No comments:

Post a Comment