Monday, October 5, 2009

the adventures of the new chauny assistants begin!

Even with the disappearance of Fabienne (which is now a Chauny legend as every person I talk to knows), the Chauny assistants are at the most since I've started.  Turns out, there's another German!  She works partly here and partly in Tergnier and lives with one of her colleagues. So that makes six assistants in Chauny this year.  We all had dinner together on Friday and then went out to Cuba.  Of course, I had to give all the introductions to my friends and such.  Also ran into a friend I only saw once last year (he lives in Paris now) but hung out with a lot my first year as he is friends with surveillant S. We were able to catch up which was nice.  I was sad when the others wanted to leave, because I was still mid conversation with him, but I was not going to walk home alone. He wanted to know how I found him on Facebook.  Umm... he added me! I was like who is this G. with no photo???  I only said "yes", because his hometown was Viry (a tiny tiny town right next to Chauny), so I figured I had to know him somehow. Then, he suggested we discovered each other through a mutual friend like S., but we have no mutual friends on Facebook!  And S. isn't even on there(?)!  Who knows?

Saturday, I went to Paris to hang out with Anna, and Roxy tagged along with us.  We had a wonderful and relaxing, though somehow also very exhausting, day. We had a few coffees, walked around, spent time in the Jardins des Tuileries, had a nice three course meal for dinner, and just chatted a lot. It was all and all a nice day.  I definitely enjoyed it.

I need to watch my humor a bit.  I like to be sarcastic, but others need to know me a bit first, and I need to know them as well.  Daniel sent me a text when returning to Chauny asking if I was "sur le train".  "Sur" in French literally means "on" as in "on top of the train".  I, of course, have to be a smart ass and reply "On est pas sur le train, mais on est dans le train" (We're not on top of the train, but we are in the train). Roxy thought it was hilarious, because I asked her advice before sending it, but I don't know how he took it.  He said it was fine, after he had a brief moment of panic that we weren't on the train, when I asked though.

While walking home from the train, I walked past Florence's (a woman I worked with two years ago) apartment and thought (and even said to the others) about how I need to get in touch with her, because she doesn't even know I'm back.  What happens Sunday morning?  I receive a message from her on Facebook asking what I'm up to!  How strange!  I let her know I'm back in Chauny, so hopefully, we will be doing something soon.

Sunday was just incredibly boring.  Watched some episodes of Grey's Anatomy, stared at the wall, took a walk, ate, drank a lot of tea, and pretty much went out of my mind.  I can't wait until I have the Internet!!

I have no classes on Monday.  Argh.  Another boring day!  But at least La Rotonde is open!  And I have dinner with Sn. and goofy Mo. to look forward to!

We have another new random neighbor who is only going to be there on the weekends.  He asked what we were doing Saturday night having obviously heard us come back late on Friday.  He knows we found something!  I told him we were spending the day in Paris, but I took his number just in case we returned early.  I asked him why he only spends the weekends here, and he said he lived in the Internat (school dorms) during the week, but he's going to try to stay here all week.  It wasn't until five minutes later that he's a student.  Quite possibly one of mine as I haven't met the new BTS yet!  I highly doubt he's Bac Pro (because why would you need to be so far from home for that?), so he's got to be BTS.  My only hope is that he's in the new BTS they were starting.  I don't need to start hanging out with my students again.

And in even more drama, I just went to pay my rent and overheard part of a conversation about how the other lycee has an English assistant coming (don't know if it's Fabienne or someone new), and they are demanding the room they reserved saying that who ever is occupying it needs to vacate it.  The very room Daniel is in.  They were always planning for Roxy, so she's safe.  They moved the conversation, so I didn't get to hear the rest.  But drama!

No comments:

Post a Comment