Saturday, October 24, 2009

what number are we up to for why i love my school??

Well, I am officially on vacation! Yay! Of course, Chauny has followed this up with a lovely rainy day for the first day, but oh well, I will be out of here soon! The last day of class seemed long and daunting with six hours of class (though I ended up with 7... explanation to follow). Some of the hours passed quicker than others, but it wasn't too horrible. C. and A. were entertaining as always with C. trying out some English. Of course, C. also kept randomly interrupting my classes. One time, he kept opening and shutting the door (he was trying to yell at someone in the hallway before entering my room), and my students and I both cracked up.

But the best part of the day had to do with the profs and my TGM students. One prof from Bretagne made some Breton crepes and another brought in delicious goodies from a boulangerie. Though that's not the best part part. Claude and Phillipe (a prof who actually is from the lovely region of Picardie - complete with the accent) sang a Picardian song, In Haut de Ch'terril (click for the lyrics to see how much you can understand), in the teacher's room during the break. Claude brought the music (which was funny enough) and they sang at the top of their lungs. The rest of us couldn't stop laughing. I understood everything since Claude and I went over the lyrics beforehand, but I could basically understand most of the Picard while we read through them thanks to all my time here. Other teachers kept walking in and saying that they hoped we were aware that we all could be heard outside the room and the students were all listening. LOL. One teacher (from the South) had a hilarious look of pure confusion on his face which caused us to laugh even harder. He couldn't understand a word! They tried saying the words to him with actions, but he still couldn't understand. Finally, I translated it into real French, and all the teachers teased him for the fact that I, the American, could understand and not him though he's been here longer than me.

The day before, I had left a message on Facebook asking my student to talk to his teacher about me coming to class. He ended up getting the whole class together, and they all asked her if I could come, so she did. They were playing a game when I entered (I had an overlapping class), and they all got all excited and I received a chorus of "Shannon!!! We love you!!!" The teacher looked so surprised. They were very rowdy, and I had a hard time splitting my time between the groups, but they definitely loved having me there. I talked to the teacher afterwards, and she really does fear this class. I find them all to be sweethearts (energetic but sweet), so hopefully, she will be having me back again soon.

Now, it's the weekend, and we will be leaving for Aix on Tuesday. It's raining today (and I'm broke), so we decided to not go to Paris. We've set up shop at La Rotonde comme d'hab. The owners and servers have become particularly chatty, so we've been talking with them a bunch which has been nice. The one was teasing me yesterday when I changed up my order.

Ahh... I kind of really love Chauny. And my school.

2 comments:

  1. Is it weird that I'm a little jealous that you learned all this Picard and I didn't? So funny that 20 minutes north or south makes such a huge difference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! A little! Considering I can't actually use this little talent and most French people find it a disgrace ;-)

    ReplyDelete