Thursday, January 7, 2010

a fellow blogger visitor in picardie!!!

Monday was "la rentrée" (the return to school after break), but as I don't work Mondays, I basically did nothing. I did have a nice conversation at lunch with an English teacher from the college (middle school) next door. She was surprised how much I do here since she's met the other American who does nothing. Well, that's his own fault, not mine. Dinner was nice too. I had a nice little chat with the surveillants about the holidays. When I said I spent NYE in St. Quentin, the first thing Sn. asked was if I was with C. Umm... okay? He doesn't even work with C. so I don't know where that question came from.

Tuesday, before my visitor, I spent the morning in classes as I'd be missing the afternoon. The best surprise?  Being left completely alone with the TGE (about 25 students) without warning. There was some kind of emergency with Claude's brother-in-law, so he had to leave. Luckily, a few of the students did attempt to work - I went on with Claude's lesson. At least it wasn't the BTS. While I'm more comfortable with them, there would have been no hope getting them to do a single thing that Claude planned without him there. Hey, it even bores me, but what can I do?

Early this morning, I put Andromeda into a taxi headed for the train station in Chauny.  Even though the visit didn't go quite as planned, I really enjoyed having her here, and I hope - other than a few details - she can say the same thing.

Andromeda arrived here with what she thought was a sprained foot from a little accident she had while dancing on New Year's. After introducing her to my favorite cafe in town for lunch, I accompanied her to have an x-ray. Unfortunately, the worst was confirmed, she had a fracture.  With the help of my iPhone (thank god for technology!), I was able to figure out the bus to get from there to the hospital so she could get a cast. First time on a bus in Chauny! While this was not my first time in a hospital in France (thanks to my yearly medical visits in Laon), it was my first time there. It was confusing as hell trying to find the ER. I didn't actually stay there with Andromeda, because as she would be missing dinner, I went to buy food and I forgot that  a teacher was also bringing me a blanket.

I still went to dinner, because as I had said I was bringing a friend (since they only make a certain number of meals for the evening), if even I didn't show, it would have been bad. Although she didn't miss much as dinner wasn't too appetizing. I pretty much just ate lentils and dessert. But unfortunately, Andromeda missed out on meeting Sn., S., and A. that night, but they were all sad to hear about what had happened.

Yesterday, while Andromeda was visiting the museum in Blerancourt, Roxy and I met up with my friend Sophie.  She's moving to Clermont-Ferrand in a week, so I wanted to be sure to see her before she left. We had a coffee and then went to the shops since the semi-annual sales have started. Since I was focused on finding Andromeda cast friendly clothes, I didn't look for me (a very very good thing).

Andromeda returned in plenty of time for dinner, so she was able to meet C., A., and Francois (who actually knows Sophie), so she can now put some faces, not to mention full/real names, to the people I always talk about here. My BTSers were curious about her, but of course, they couldn't actually come over to talk to us. I'll probably just be questioned in class tomorrow. I caught up briefly with C. about the rest of his vacation since I hadn't talked to him since NYE, and I gave him his gift, a keychain from Berlin which he loved. I earned a huge smile and an extra bise for that. He then showed me the adorable keychain his little nephew gave him for Christmas. Thanks to Andromeda, I could give all the guys a Reese's Cup, so they couldn't pout too much.  When saying goodnight, C. made it a point to tell me he didn't have his computer so we couldn't chat on MSN later like we sometimes, but not always, do. I wouldn't have been offended by his absence, but it was still sweet to tell me.  I think I really need to plan another soiree with him...

Anyway, it was really nice to have Andromeda here even though we couldn't really wander around Chauny much as planned. We probably would have froze to death doing that anyway!  I don't get many visitors, so I enjoyed having someone else here.... even if I did have to sleep on the floor.  Totally didn't mind though! There was no way I was letting her sleep on the floor with her foot in a cast. Though I'm sure I'll sleep very well tonight!

This afternoon, I have two classes. Well, actually only one, but I stay with the group of adults, because they have claimed me for that hour now even though I don't do much of anything.  Then, in the early evening, the lycee is having a little shindig for the Epiphany complete with galettes des rois!  Looking forward to it!

And then Saturday, I will be off to Paris to hang out with Anna! Can't wait to seeing her and maybe braving the sales for an hour or so...

No comments:

Post a Comment