Monday, February 8, 2010

k&k get cultured. triple the culture, triple the fun!

Yesterday, I had one of the best days in Paris yet. Emily and I took the train bright and early for the Katia & Kyliemac Get Cultured Meetup. As we were in town far too early, we went to the shops at the Carousel de Louvre to waste some time. We met up with Katia, Kylie, and a few others for yummy falafel at Maoz in the 5th. It was so cheap, massive, and yummy! My definition of a good meal.

We all had a drink at a cafe before heading to Sainte Chapelle, the reason for the day's meetup. I had already been there, but as museums are free the first Sunday of the month, it didn't hurt to go again. Plus, I was in the presence of great company! Sainte Chapelle is famous for its stained glass windows which practically surround you in the upstairs part, so it really is a beautiful sight.

Stained glass at Sainte Chapelle


Since the museums were free, we also decided to check out the Conciergerie which is a formal royal palace and prison. It's most well-known for the fact that Marie Antoinette was held there before making her way to the guillotine. While probably not worth paying to visit, it was definitely fun to check out for free!

For even more culture, a few of us decided to go to the Cluny, the Musée National du Moyen Age (National Middle Ages Museum). Also a fun visit if it's free. They have a unicorn horn! Okay, so it's not really from a unicorn, but it looks like one.

For dinner, Animesh took Emily and I to a wonderful Indian restaurant. He advised us as to what we should order, and oh my! That was some of the best food I ever ate! The sauces alone were enough to make me happy! Yummy! He's going to introduce us to South Indian food the next time. Can't wait!

3 comments:

  1. Wait a SEC!! You went to dinner with Animesh?!! That's were he went when we all left the coffee shop!

    I wish I had known you were coming to Paris, I would have invited you to coffee at Malongo.. it was right next to where you guys had falafels!!! In fact, Animesh missed it and when I sent him from the coffee shop to go get one a few stores down.. he came back and said it was where you all were earlier...
    However, I didn't know you were there! Shoot!! I was with a few expat friends for coffee...
    I guess next time, I'll just sent out an email to you and if you are here, you can meet us if you'd like!

    I would have gone with Animesh later one, too.. but, I had a gnarly stomachache!!

    Take care,
    Leese

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leese! Did you get the email I sent you last night? I think I have your right email. I didn't realize until after the fact as well that Animesh had met up with you! I didn't decide until the last minute to go to Paris, so I figured it was too late to notify you. Guess I was wrong! I definitely want to meet up with you soon sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you like travelling around, you should go to a wonderful place called Brittany...
    We have so many thinks... You'll try the "galettes" and you'll enjoy teh best sea food.
    If you like all these smelly cheeses, you'll lobe fresh oysters in cancale !
    See you soon !

    ReplyDelete