Sunday, February 28, 2010

birthday weekend!

I want to thank my lovely friends who came and celebrated my 25th birthday with me! It was really quite a lovely night and day with them despite the numerous transportation disasters everyone seemed to encounter. Jamie even came down from Lille (that's in a whole other region than Picardie) to party with us! We had yummy and pizza for dinner and introduced everyone to the shadiest bar in France and yet the best bar in Chauny and then stayed up to the wee hours of night chatting and eating pretzels in my room.

I passed out quickly in bed, planning to sleep most of Sunday away. No such luck. Soon after I began my blissful slumber, I was awaken by the banging and creaking of my shutters as they were wracked by the violent winds (with gusts over far over 100 mph) courtesy of Xynthia. Yes, a storm with a name (so far, it's responsible for 45 deaths in France alone). Finally, after a few hours of restless sleep, I pulled myself out of bed. Since my original plan of sleeping until cake time did not pan out, it quickly became apparent that I would need to eat something, and I had nothing. Unfortunately, supermarkets (if open) close by noon on Sundays in France. Thus, I had to brave the storm. I walked to a store that is normally less than 10 minutes away. Despite trying to run, the wind just tossed me around making it impossible to move quickly. I was drenched from head to toe and just battered. It was pretty scary.

My birthday cake that Emily made (complete with homemade frosting!) was so delicious! Plus, it was nice to be sharing it with some awesome people. Emily gave me the BEST card ever (so going up on my wall!), and Roxy gave me a nice present (can't wait to wear the things and read the book). And Daniel stopped by my room and gave me a bottle of wine! So lovely of everyone!

I was spoiled with so many messages wishing me a happy birthday! A. even broke out his English skills for me (something I had yet to see!)! Thanks everyone!

In other exciting news, ticket for K&K Ep 333 has been bought!! I cannot wait until April 17th!

1 comment: