Wednesday, February 3, 2010

i'm pretty sure i walked half of paris

I had a wonderful time the other day in Paris with my French professor. We met up at the Grande Mosquée de Paris for mint tea (which I had been craving) and yummy pastries. It was nice to sit there for a long while and catch up. Next up, we wandered all around Paris. I think we walked through about four or five arrondissements total. We definitely got our exercise for the day in. We stopped for a drink and a snack at a little Lebanese stand. I tried half of what my prof ordered. I have long since forgotten what it was, but it was awfully delicious. For dinner, we had pizza which hit the spot just right. I definitely ate a lot that day, but I'm choosing to ignore that fact since we did walk several miles.

Even though it might seem like we didn't do much, it was my perfect kind of day. I love wandering the streets of Paris. Plus, I was in very good company, and it was nice sharing my Chauny and France experiences with someone who understands. I hope that we both have some more time before she leaves so we can meet up again. Especially if it's a time when Anna is also free, because sadly, she had to work all day Monday.

Yesterday was la Chandeleur which is basically an excuse to eat crepes. Okay, maybe that's not exactly correct but crepes are a part of it. In honor of that fact, we ate crepes at La Rotonde. The server became all excited over this and chatted all about it to us. He's so nice. I also once again explained Groundhog's Day to the high schoolers. Their amused faces will never seize to crack me up.

At dinner, we started discussing the finer parts of French cuisine. I love being able to jump in on those types of conversations and add in my opinion on escargot, foie gras, different kinds of cheese, etc. They love how much I have tried and learning what I liked or not and why or why not. It's better than just making a face. For example, I can say that I liked the escargot I had, but I don't like to eat them, because it's the texture that bugs me. They respect an opinion like that. If I just made a face and went "Eww!", that would not be okay.

My class today requested that I make them some American cookies. Despite the lack of kitchen, I may see about working something out with Emily if I get motivated. They are a sweet and small class, and I've had these students since my first year. Well, two out of the three anyway. We might have a cheese tasting soon. We'll see if anyone remembers it after the break.

I am off to meet up with Emily now. Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment