Saturday, February 6, 2010

two weeks of freedom (or boredom) ahead

Emily joined me for my class with the 2ndes on Thursday. They pretty much stared at her mutely for the first half while Claude asked questions. They perked up a bit when they could question her in French, but that's still not saying much. Either way, my students were quite spoiled.

Thursday night at dinner was entertaining. The boys started shouting out random phrases in English that made no sense whatsoever. When I told C. that, he immediately divulged that to the students as well. Then, one of them asked us how to say "sex" in English. C. yelled at them to shut up and eat at the same time that A. announced that it was the same word. He was so proud to have understood something in English. Aww, A.

On the train of thought of things in English, C. turned to me and randomly said "casser sa pipe". Now I know what it means (kick the bucket), but its sudden appearance had me racking my brain as to why he said it. "Pipe" can also have a sexual connotation and with where the boys' comments had been, I couldn't figure out why he would say it to me. He went on to say that he forgot what it was in English, but added that it had to do with Charlie Winston and his song about how we all die in the end. Oh! Suddenly, it became clear! He was talking about Charlie Winston's song "Kick the Bucket" which is our new addiction (C. introduced me to his music a month or two ago). He explained how there had been a news story on it, and they had translated it into French. A. was completely lost so we forced him to listen to "Kick the Bucket" on my phone which caused him to have a hilarious lost expression on his face. Finally, he recognized the song "Like a Hobo". Apparently, this singer has not crossed over the Atlantic yet. He really should, because his songs are actually really good. I'm addicted.

And I have made some progress! After several reminders, C., who has a horrible memory, finally remembered (more or less) when my birthday is! We've already made some loose plans for it. I don't really care what we do as long as I get to spend it with some good friends.

Yesterday was the last day of classes before the two week break. I'm so proud of my 2ndes LV-2 (Sophomores, English as a 2nd foreign language). Well, kind of. There are two students, and the one is stronger at English than some of my terminales (Seniors). He wrote up his quiz in a very short period of time, and he had very few minor mistakes. He even used some "difficult" verbal structures. I'm so proud!

So yes, I am currently on vacation for the next two weeks. Exciting, right? Except not. As I am trying to save money for this summer, I have no real plans for this holiday. So two very boring weeks ahead! Yay.

1 comment: