Wednesday, May 19, 2010

london with the lycee

So last weekend was spent in London with the school. The trip, while exhausting, went very well. I think everyone had a good time. We spent the first day in Greenwich visiting a few museums there including the Royal Observatory. I even took that opportunity to stand in both the East and West at one time.

The second day, we took a tour on the River Thames before walking by Parliament, Downing Street, and the like. After a filling lunch at Pizza Hut (yes, you read that right), we had some free time in Covent Garden. I found a nice pair of shoes for the summer which were immediately coveted by all the students as I was the only one who found what they all wanted. I assured them that we would go to a store that had these shoes the next day (we did). We ended the day at the British Museum. I have been to London four times now and the British three times, and it's always for the same display. Needless to say, I was bored out of my mind. I noticed some of the students felt the same way, so I stoically offered to take a small group to another "exhibit" (the students knew that translated to "sit down somewhere"). The other teachers agreed, so I left followed by a few students. Apparently, word got around. By the time I arrived at the destination point, I had 18 of the 25 students with me.

The last day, we made a trip to the grocery store (yay Cadbury chocolate!) then off to the Natural History Museum. Another place I have been three times. Joy. I stayed amused by talking with the students. In the afternoon, we did some very unorganized shopping before heading back to France.

It was a good trip. I had some minor annoyances usually caused by the other teachers. Sometimes, common sense things just don't occur to them. The students were sweet though. A few of them made an effort to speak to me in English, and even the so-called "tough" guys were sweeties on the trip. They remarked on how sad it would be that I wouldn't be going with them next year. Aww! And Claude, poor Claude. He's going to be so lost. He always went the wrong way (followed by the students and other teachers) until I called him in the right direction. It's so like him.

The past few days here have been nice. I made some Rice Krispies Treats per A.'s request, and they have been a huge hit of course. Then today, I went to watch the students and surveillants play soccer. It was entertaining. C. is just plain horrible so that was funny, and Francois was a surprising little fire ball.

Last week, I ran into Consuelo (a Spanish teacher at the other lycee) and her husband, and we had a nice long conversation together. They're so awesome. He's directing a play that's being put on tonight, so I'm going to go to that. Should be good.

I also officially have less than two weeks left in Chauny. Sad.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Shannon...


    I had SUCH a great trip to London that I'm going back in Aug. with my hubby... I didn't do ANY museums.. I don't usually when I travel.. oh well.. But when I read that you were bored after seeing the same thing again... I now realize why I don't like museums as much as walking around and discovering the town itself...
    Oh well... Did you get into Nero's cafe?? I loved that place and met the nicest people all over ..
    Take care,
    Leese

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lise!

    I actually prefer museums in the UK to museums in like France, because they're free. I can go, look at what I want to see, and then leave and not feel guilty about wasting money. Just going to the same museums (and the same exhibits there) over and over gets old quickly.

    Didn't go to Nero's this time. I didn't see one, but I did get my Starbucks' fix :-)

    ReplyDelete