Saturday, May 29, 2010

toughest goodbye, hugs, and dinner chez claude

Well, I had the toughest of goodbyes yesterday, C. I went to see him at the end of the day, trying very hard not to break into tears before I even saw him. First, he had to give me a gift from himself and my favorite student. They gave me a really fancy bookmark (the student picked it out) and a very sweet card. The student even wrote completely in English and didn't make any mistakes! And he didn't just use basic English! I'm so proud! Anyway, C. and I were talking and he was saying how bizarre and sad this was (and of course A. agreed and then added in that he was also sad that there'd be no more "gateaux". Oh, A.). I gave him the bise in thanks for the gift.

But then, I wasn't going to let that be the way we said goodbye. I had been joking around with Roxy about how I was going to give American goodbyes, i.e. hugs. For those of you who don't know, the French rarely hug. It's usually only done between couples. C. was to be my first victim, because no matter how weird he thought it was, he wouldn't be creeped out. I was just about to tell him I was going to give him an American goodbye when he opened his arms to me and gave me a great big hug. Talk about surprise! And it wasn't some wimpy hug! It was a nice long tight hug. Just what I needed. It made me all sorts of happy. And then incredibly sad, because it was a goodbye after all. But as they say in French, it wasn't an "adieu" but an "au revoir" (which basically translates to until I see you again). He said he'd come visit me next year and that we'd talk soon, and of course, if he's at his parents' in La Rochelle when I'm in Poitiers, we'd hang then. We walked away from each while blowing kisses until we were out of each other's sight. So sweet. I managed to hold onto the tears until I walked out of the lycee. I miss him already!

In the evening, Claude and his wife invited me over for dinner. It was such an amazing night! Yes, Claude's craziness is conveyed through his house as well. He even randomly disappeared for an hour, and Francine was just like, "That's Claude." They also invited the teacher who went to London with us. She gave me some fancy napkins. Claude and Francine gave me a French cookbook that is heavy enough to kill a person, but their explanation and thought behind it was so sweet. Apparently, Claude wanted to get me a dictionary but Francine put her foot down on that. LOL.

We ate a wonderful meal. Quiche and salad for the entree, blanquette de veau for the main dish (I told Claude once that I loved this and the most absentminded person in the world remembered!), massive amounts of fancy cheese, and some kind of amazing dessert all accompanied by champagne (the real stuff), fancy red Bordeaux wine, and a lot of digestifs. Not kidding there. Claude went a little psychotic, and kept running down into the "cave" for more bottles. Francine would mention something, he'd run off, us groaning, and then return with what she mentioned plus at least 3 more bottles. By the end, there were more than 30 different types of liquor on the table (I counted!). No, I did not try them all. I don't think I'd be out of bed right now if I did.

We had amazing conversations, and the evening just flew by. We talked a lot about the people I knew, the students, and the surveillants since I know them better than anyone else at the table does. When Francine asked me who at the lycee I'd be seeing again after this year (present company excluded because clearly I'm seeing them again), I sat back and really thought about it. I said C. was definite, because we have become such good friends. As I told them, honestly, I think he'll be the only one that I'll make an effort to see. Anyone else will just be if they happen to be around when I pop down to Chauny for a visit. I said maybe A. as well, because I do love him and with the wonders of Facebook, we will be staying in touch.

Today, Emily and I are going to St. Quentin for the afternoon (after I have my last lunch at La Rotonde) and then doing dinner tonight. Tomorrow, I have to do laundry and then pack everything up, because Claude is coming Monday to get everything that's staying with him for the summer. So lots to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment