Wednesday, February 18, 2009

drive by update

First of all, Uncle Sam wants over $600 in taxes on my French income. Love you too, US of A. Thankfully, I have the nicest mom ever, and she's going to help me out with that. I'm barely able to save $5 from each paycheck let alone a few hundred. Where my money goes... I have no idea. Though I'm guessing La Rotonde has a huge claim on my money. Well, at least unlike going to a Starbucks (which you know, don't exist here anyway), I'm helping to support the local Chauny owners.

Secondly, I had another student who is completely confused by the meaning of "Ca va?" (How are you?). He asked me "What are you?" Seriously, where do they get this from? At least he was making an effort, I guess. I think I need to have a lesson on how to have a brief "Hey! How's it going?" conversation. No one in my school (apart from like maybe a certain surveillant) can do that.

Thirdly, two more days of work until vacation!

3 comments:

  1. What? Why are you paying taxes? We aren't supposed to be paying taxes on our measly foreign salaries. Did you file your France earnings with your US earnings? I can't imagine you earned enough in the US to pay taxes either though! Did you file under the foreign earned income exclusion?

    In any case, good luck with that nasty tax problem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn´t live outside of the US for 330 days, so the under 80,000 dollar exemption doesn´t work. But also, with my work in the US, I earned over the minimum amount of 8,000 whatever it is. So yeah. Sucks. Last year, I didn´t even claim taxes from France, but this year I´m playing it by the book because of something I might be doing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah! We just need to figure out a when and a where.

    ReplyDelete