Natasha's parents must think I never work. Seriously, every time they have seen me, I've either been in my room, wandering around town, or at the cafe while their daughter is at work. Well, I guess it's kind of true. I have two classes that have exams all week and another that's doing an internship so that's a bunch of canceled classes right there.
Yesterday, I showed up for the Terminale S class for a nice surprise. Claude had a meeting, so he wanted me to take the entire class. On the spot. He told me to talk about superstitions. While this class should be the best at English in the school (note the word "should"), they are also the least likely to do anything. I mean, they're super nice to me, so I don't care that I was left alone with all of them. Luckily, I was able to get a bit out of them. Mostly in French except for a few who never speak when Claude is there that actually attempted to speak English with me. Good thing I did manage to do some work, because Claude showed back up halfway through the lesson.
Today, I did a lesson with my secondes which involved creating a superhero. It was a hit. They really got into it, but of course, it also backfired. There always has to be that one group who will use the activity to make fun of a fellow student. Fortunately, that student wasn't in class with me, so I was able to scold them and take their paper before anyone else could see it.
This afternoon, I met up Kylie and her son for coffee and waffles. Yummy! (Natasha's parents also walked in which is why they must think I never work.) We chatted a lot. I seriously love talking with her. Will also drew me a bunch of pictures before we headed over to the library for a bit. We have plans to go to Paris on Sunday for a delicious meal at Breakfast in America and Carnival. Can't wait!
Since Natasha's family is here, she's with them, and I'm pretty much on my own here at the school. I've been eating lunch with the maintenance guys and dinner with the surveillants (which is what I always do for dinner anyway). Everyone has been excessively chatty. Lunch has been like an hour long each day. I never stay in the cantine that long! But the guys have been really talkative. Asking me questions about this and that. And then tonight at dinner, C., Sn., and I had a great conversation about really good food and the specialties of different countries (of course that just left me wanting a really yummy meal). C. and I both share a love of this hot pink creperie in Reims. LOL. And now I can't wait for real Italian pizza. Both of them stayed for the entire dinner. That's pretty unusual as one of the surveillants usually leaves a bit earlier so that the students who are finished don't have to stay in the cantine. Sn. eventually left first (after making sure I'd be there tomorrow... umm... why wouldn't I?), but C. and I stayed on a bit longer to finish our conversation.
In all seriousness, I don't know if everyone is just having a chatty week, or if it's because I'm alone. This was always the case last year as well - whenever I was alone, people were more likely to talk to me and stick around longer. Natasha and I always speak in French, so it's not we have an English exclusion thing going on. But maybe I'm more approachable when I'm alone? I am the friendlier one. Initiating the bise, asking questions, jumping into the conversation, etc. Or maybe they just feel sorry for me this week, because I'm alone and have no friends? In any case, I'm liking it. Looking forward to tomorrow's meals!
Only a few more days left until vacation! Can't wait!!
No comments:
Post a Comment